I admittedly usually read at least some fantasy, but it’s usually either an author I already know and love (Sarah J. Maas or Rebecca Roanhorse) or it’s an urban fantasy series with a strong romantic plot that in my head I still consider a romance even if I categorize it differently in my statistics. But for a very long time, I have been steering clear of actual complex worlds and I am hoping that I can sort of change that this year. However, I have acquired a lot of books that fall into the SFF genres and so I really need your help in deciding what books to prioritize because I have so many choices I already own! So please leave me your opinions so I know where to even begin.
- The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
- Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown – which I know is one of Dani’s favorites!
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
- The Black God’s Drums by P. Djeli Clark (please excuse the lack of accents in the name, but Apple and I are continuing our fight since I can no longer figure out how to have the accent options appear…)
- Magic for Liars by Sarah Gailey
- The Library of the Unwritten by A.J. Hackwith
- An Unkindness of Magicians by Kat Howard
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin
- The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin
- The Stone Sky by N. K. Jemisin – my only issue with this one is that I’ll need to reread the first two before I can pick this one up.
- Jade City by Fonda Lee
- The Ruin of Kings by Jenn Lyon
- The Harp of Kings by Juliet Marillier
- A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine
- Middlegame by Seanan McGuire
- Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
- Realm of Ash by Tasha Suri
- The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri
I’m fairly certain I own even more than this, but at least this is a solid starting point for fantasy I know I have access to. Please still feel free to recommend me books you think I’ll love outside of this list, but I’m truly begging for guidance on where to begin with this list! To be fair, we probably all know that I’ll be continuing my Wheel of Time read but at some point, I really do want to venture beyond this series!