So… I took a sort of impromptu and also long time coming blog hiatus for part of last month. I’ve never been the most consistent, so I didn’t bother to write a post about it and I didn’t officially take one, even to myself. I kept telling myself I was going to get it together and write the posts I had planned, but this summer has been incredibly challenging to get it together, you know? Anyway, I also wasn’t doing much reading. So today, I have just seven books to talk about, although I read Last Guard twice so kind of eight books to discuss? I also thought that just for fun, I would share with y’all the extensive list of books I am “currently reading” so you can understand where I’m at. So let’s dive in, shall we?
Books Read and Some Information
- Magic Breaks by Ilona Andrews | (A) 5 stars, maybe my favorite in the series so far?
- Last Guard by Nalini Singh | (H, A) 5 stars, read it twice, my favorite of the month hands down with no real competition
- What the Hex by Alexis Daria | (A) 4 stars, Audible Original, great production, would love a full length book in this style from Daria (Technically, I think I may have had an ARC?)
- Broken Horses by Brandi Carlisle | (A) 4 stars, but I think this would be amazing for a fan of Carlisle
- Awakened by the CEO by Therese Beharrie | (E) 3 stars, but maybe higher? Definitely impacted by my mood. Full review coming. (ARC)
- Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews | (A) 4 stars
- Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews | (A) 4 stars
Reading Statistics for the Month
- Total Books Read: 8
- Format: Audiobooks reigned supreme this month with 6 of 8 reads being in audio format. One was an ebook and Last Guard, I initially read in print.
- BIPOC Authors: Half of the eight books I read were authored by someone who is not white, I think.
- Genre: Largely my reads this month were paranormal romance/fantasy with only two not being. One of those two was a memoir and the other was a contemporary romance.
- Source of Books: I think I hauled all of them this year, but two(?) were ARCs.
I am currently ini the middle of six books, well, really eight if we count the two I’ve started today, which we won’t because then I would really have way too many to talk about. I’ve put the covers in the order of how much I’ve read of each book so that you can really see that I am a mess.
First we have Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews, which really picked up speed for me once the marriage of convenience got underway. I am into these enemy ally vibes. I am hoping for an HEA at the end of book one, but am now thinking that might be a silly expectation. Also, I am finding the plot fascinating.
Then I’m reading What If You & Me by Roni Loren, which I am enjoying, even though it seems like that shouldn’t be true given that I’ve been reading it for most of the month. I just put it down and don’t feel compelled to pick it back up, but when I do, it’s good!
The Marriage Contract by Katee Robert seemed like it would hit the sort of Cate C. Wells void I was feeling, but so far, I’m not really finding that it’s there. Which is why I started Saxon and Jenny by Kati Wilde, which is also not delivering exactly what I wanted quite yet.
My two memoirs I’m supposed to be reading and am instead dragging my feet on are Well, This is Exhausting by Sophia Benoit and Somebody’s Daughter by Ashley C. Ford. Here’s hoping I get my nonfiction momentum going again soon because I really like both of their voices.
How was your July? What was your favorite book? Any of my currently reading books sound like ones I should re-locate my motivation to finish?
3 responses to “July Wrap Up”
I’ve been so slumpy lately. I’m also in the mood for a specific kind of book but I can’t seem to find it so I’m just reading a lot of random books. I love that you’re binge-reading the Kate Daniels series. I want to revisit at some point. Also, omg at you reading 6 books! I really liked What If You & Me so I hope it finishes off strong for you.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I am a MESS, lol. The slump is real. I’m not really finishing books, it seems like. But I AM hoping to read/reread the full Sherry Thomas Lady Sherlock series this week while I’m on vacation. I’ve encountered my first problem with that plan already though, which is that I’ve misplaced book one somewhere?? It’s definitely in the beach house SOMEWHERE, but where? No idea. Lol. I am really enjoying the Kate Daniels books! I’m so excited I’m finally in the process of finishing them off!! I hope you find the specific books to fit your mood soon! ❤
[…] July Wrap Up […]