It’s really hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that it’s already March again, although at least this time I know I’m about to enter a period of intense transition. Things are a bit up in the air with my job at the moment so I’m a tad stressed about things. I’ve found myself in a bit of a slump reading wise this last week where I just can’t quite get my brain to settle and focus right now and I think that’s why. So who knows what March will bring. But anyway, you’re here for me to tell you about books! And I will, but I changed the format again and so I would love for you to tell me your thoughts on this format!
5 Star Reads
4.5 Star Reads
4 Star Reads
Black Author Readathon Wrap Up
Novella: Passing by Nella Larsen
Childhood to Adult: Honor and Desire by Rebel Carter
Historical Romance: Forbidden by Beverly Jenkins
Friend Group Series: Plus One by Christina C. Jones
Realistic Contemporary: Maybe Next Time by Christina C. Jones
Free Space: Deeper by Rilzy Adams
Friends to Lovers: Displacement by Alexandra Warren
Second Chance: Back in the Texan’s Bed by Naima Simone
New to You Author: Adjacent by Alexandra Warren
Romance Graphic Novel: Bingo Love: Jackpot by Tee Franklin et. al.
I didn’t actually manage to make a single Bingo and this really served to remind me that my mood reading is not really based on trope. I love so many of the prompts on the other squares but I’m not good at getting Bingo in a month with trope based on prompts! Oops.
- Total Books Read: 30
- Average Rating: 4.13
- Format Read: Physical – 7; Ebooks – 19; Audiobooks – 4
- Authors of Color: 17
- Own/Borrowed/Hauled: Own – 9 (+ 8 ARCs), Borrowed – 8, Hauled – 5
Reviews Posted to the Blog This Month:
- Back in the Texan’s Bed by Naima Simone
- First Comes Like by Alisha Rai
- Wild Rain by Beverly Jenkins
- Love at First by Kate Clayborn
- Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell
- Best Laid Plans by Roan Parrish
- Waiting for a Scot Like You by Eva Leigh
- Feelings: A Story in Seasons by Manjit Thapp
- Yes & I Love You by Roni Loren
Exciting Posts from Me in February
- Let’s Talk: Third Act Breakups
- Book Recommendations for Aquariuses and Venus in Aquarius + Romance Recs
- #SpringIntoLoveBingo Announcement and TBR
- #SpringIntoLoveBingo Recommendations
Posts from Around the Web that I’ve Loved
- I shared the most amazing TikTok on Twitter from @stacebookspace and if you have the app, or if you want to look her up on the website, I would highly recommend because she does these videos for so many genres. The one I shared was her historical romance one! (But here’s this one about friends to lovers!)
- Courtney Milan postponed her release of The Devil Comes Courting to April 20th, which is sad, but this pandemic has been a mess and a half so I hope she isn’t too stressed about the delay!
- Melinda and Melanie are back with another installment in The Psy/Changeling Channel for Visions of Heat.
- NPR’s Code Switch had a bunch of amazing Black authors on it, including Alyssa Cole and Ms. Bev!
- Love Africa Book Club posted a list of 30 African romance novels you should read.
- Nick’s Valentine’s Day Extravaganza posts were superb and amazing and I loved each and every one. Day One had a Galentine’s Day prompt and various authors submitted things about that. Days Two and Three were authors submissions about Valentine’s Day dates gone wrong. Day Four was submissions from various readers with imaginings of some of our various OTPs about what their Valentine’s Day date would have been in a city important to us. I submitted one about Hawke and Sienna because of course I did, and then Nalini Singh retweeted Nick’s tweet about it and I died. Day Five gave me a watch list a mile long even though I rarely watch things!! Anyway, each post is brilliant and if you missed them, definitely check it out.
- Sil wrote a post for Book Riot called 50 of the Best Kindle Unlimited Books You Can Read in 2021.
- Rebekah Weatherspoon shared art of Shaw, Brook, and Vaughn from Harbor, which incidentally won The Ripped Bodice Award this year, along with several other incredible books!
- Speaking of awards, The Swoon Awards winners are posted!!! I loved this entire process and look forward to finally reading some of these winners I’ve put off for no reason. I have actually read most of them though, so that’s also exciting.
- Nalini finally told us what Last Guard is going to be about and Alyssa dropped an amazing short story in her newsletter!! It was a great month for author newsletters.
- We have an actress for Kate(!!!!) and I could not be more pleased because I literally cannot wait to see Anthony utterly destroyed by Kate Sharma. Like!!!!! The joy I will feel.
- Nick sold so many of us on Rilzy Adams’ Love Scammed with this tweet.
- You really need to be blessed with this incredible photoshoot Funmi did with Wild Rain. It is so color coordinated and on point.
- I really loved Beth P’s thread on her 10 years of romance anniversary.
- Are you subscribed to Alisha Rai’s tiktok? What about Quarantine Cuisine? Because you absolutely should be if you aren’t.
- This post from ShadesnPages on Black Romantic Comedy Movie Matchup is truly great!
Okay, I think that is all I have bookmarked or otherwise saved to share, but tbh, I’m probably missing something! So please share with me if you think there’s something I missed that I shouldn’t have!