Thank you so much to Dani from Dani’s Bookshelf for nominating/tagging me for The Liebster Award. There are eleven questions so let’s hop to it!
1. Do you collect anything when you travel? If so, what and why?
Not really, no. At least, not something cohesive. I do tend to acquire an article of clothing that I’ll never wear or a cute tourist trap bag or a piece of jewelry. I definitely get something to commemorate a trip somewhere if it’s special in some way. For a couple trips, I thought maybe I’d collect Starbucks cups. I now have one for Phoenix, Hawai’i, and Puerto Rico (which my dad actually brought me back), but not from the multitude of other places I’ve been because I have too many coffee cups, which… spoiler alert for later…
2. What’s your favorite part about having a blog that you didn’t expect when you started?
I saw someone talk about how they weren’t expecting blogging to make them like reading even more, but I feel like that’s true of me as well. I think it’s gotten me to stop and think more about the books that I read, which has been really cool. I’m also spamming my sketchbook that I bought a thousand years ago with my favorite quotes, which is a really cool project for me.
3. What’s something you have waaaaay too much of (besides books)?
This is where the spoiler alert comes in. I have way too many coffee cups. Like… There are seven days in a week, right? I probably have enough coffee cups to not wash them for close to three weeks. If not more. I DON’T EVEN DRINK MY COFFEE AT HOME. Seriously. I’m addicted to lattes so I keep purchasing coffee instead of using my Keurig, making my coffee cup collection even more ridiculous. But they’re super cute and I love them.
4. Name the one book on your shelf that you’d most like to get signed by the author and why.
Probably The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli, but also maybe Hold Me by Courtney Milan. I really would like to meet both of these women because I think they’re both really amazing.
5. What’s one of your favorite places you’ve visited and why?
Hawai’i. I absolutely loved everything about Oahu. Apparently Maui is even more gorgeous but um… How? I spent a ton of time at a place I don’t really remember the name of, but it had lagoons and was beautiful and lovely, but I think the view from this part of… South Beach? was probably one of the best on the islands and it was overcast! It’s just such a beautiful place.
6. Do you prefer big bookstores or small, one-of-a-kind ones?
Well, it depends. I’m pretty sure my favorite book store in the world is The Ripped Bodice, but I’ve never even been there. Just the idea of walking into a bookstore and being able to find the romance novel I want? It’s a concept I can get behind. I really like to support local, independent book stores, but the ones I’ve been to don’t tend to have romance sections. One doesn’t carry romance at all (except they keep trying to say they do because they have Nicholas Sparks books, cue eyeroll here). So I guess I favor bigger stores that actually have a romance section, even though they sometimes let me down too.
7. Cats or dogs? Or other?
I legitimately love both. If you had asked me this question before my sister and I moved in together, I would have said dogs without hesitating, but now that Nacho and I have bonded, I love him SO MUCH. That said, I also adore my dogs, they just don’t live with me.
8. Paperback or hardcover (or ebook)? Why?
Paperbacks are the best. Especially big floppy paperbacks. But I own a ton of both and ebooks so I’m obviously not that picky.
9. What’s your favorite social media platform and why?
I’m basically addicted to Twitter and it’s a problem. Haha. I don’t know what it is, but I really like the people I can interact with and the short statements. It also moves so quickly that it’s super easy to get lost in. This is not necessarily a good thing…
10. List five of your favorite book covers right now.
11. What’s your favorite blog post you’ve written?
I think that’s a toss up between the post I wrote about Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race and the one I wrote about Bad Romance. Both of those reviews/book talks were more intense than my usual reviews and I feel like I did a pretty good job with them, personally.
Thank you so much, Dani, for tagging me to do this! So the idea now is that I create a list of 11 questions and tag some people who will hopefully participate. So I tag the entrants to the Biannual Bibliothon challenge I hosted: Jazmin at millonesderequisitos; Emma at emmareadsthings; Kelly at strugglingbookaholic; CrossroadsReviews; Emily at jumpintotheweek; Chyna at TheCWTorch; Stefanie at thosecleverthings; Ashley at InsideMyMinds; Cody at thebookworminme; Amanda at obsesswithAmanda; Grace at zanereads; and finally Nandini at unputdownablebooks!
1. What is your favorite trope?
2. What is your biggest pet peeve when reading? This could be something that people do in the real world (like trying to talk to you when you’re CLEARLY doing something) or something that when it comes up in a book, it drives you crazy (like a missing Oxford comma).
3. What book cover would you change if you could change any book cover in the world?
4. Who are your favorite musicians?
5. Do you tend to read every day or do you go long stretches of time without reading?
6. What is your favorite thing to do besides reading?
7. Do you eat/drink while you’re reading?
8. Do you own bookish merchandise? If so, what’s your favorite piece?
9. How do you decide what books to buy?
10. What is your favorite book to movie/tv show adaptation?
11. If you could transport yourself to any kind of fantasy world, what would it be like?
I can’t wait to see your responses!