The Unpopular Opinion Tag was created by The Book Archer and you can find it here. I had so much fun doing this tag, so please consider yourself tagged if you’re reading this and let me know if you’ve done it or if you are going to!
1. A Popular Book or series that you didn’t like.
The Vegetarian literally won The Manbooker International Prize and I rated it a one star, which I honestly feel like is me being generous.
2. A Popular Book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
The Next Big Thing by Jennifer Weiner is the lowest rated five star book on my Goodreads, with a 3.46 rating and I was affronted by the nature of the bad reviews, which complained endlessly of the unlikeable main character. If you want every woman to be likeable, maybe you’re the problem.
3. A Love Triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.
Ron and Hermione. Seriously. WHY ARE THEY TOGETHER? I do not approve. I could go on about this for days, but… I probably shouldn’t.
4. A popular book Genre that you hardly reach for.
Non-fiction. Perhaps this isn’t as widely popular on booktube and book blogs, but for many of my friends and the people I know IRL, they read a ton of non-fiction, but it’s so hard to get me to actually read non-fiction, even when it’s something I’m interested in.
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
Albus Dumbledore. Severus Snape. Okay, admittedly, they’re controversial characters, but I feel like so many people adore them (*coughHARRYcough*) and I just can’t forgive them for their actions. Outside of Harry Potter… I would have said Chaol, but I loved Tower of Dawn too much. So… I don’t know! I can’t think of anyone, at least not book wise.
6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.
Melissa de la Cruz. I’m so sorry, but just… I cannot.
7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)
a. “I’m not like other girls.” *eye roll forever*
b. Slut shaming.
c. Girls who don’t have female friends
d. Books that have only white/straight characters
e. Men who even remotely resemble Donald Trump in temperament/character.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
The Vampire Diaries because I tried reading the books and I could not do it. I just… do not like the writing in the books, at all.
As always, please share your unpopular opinions. And if you want to discuss who Hermione should have wound up with, I am always happy to have that discussion. 😉